A totally delicious apple cake made with added Bramley apples and flaked almonds, flavoured with almond essence. It’s been a family favourite for years!
Set the oven to 325F / 160C and grease a 10″ / 25 cm flan/quiche dish or cake tin
- 5oz / 150g butter – softened
- 8oz / 250g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 8oz / 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 120z / 360g sliced Bramley apples
- 1 – 2oz / 30g – 60g flaked almonds
- 1 – 2oz / 30 – 60g Demerara sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Mix the baking powder with the flour
- Fold the flour into the butter mixture and stir till combined.
- Prepare the apples – peel and slice into crescents
- Add half the cake mixture into the flan or cake tin
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the cake mixture
- With a teaspoon, drop blobs of cake mixture over the apples
- Scatter the flaked almonds and Demerara sugar over the cake mixture
Place in preheated oven and bake for about 60 mins. Check after 45 mins and extend the baking time if needed.
Leave to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream … yummy!
- You can use a narrower, deeper cake tin – if so, extend the cooking time
- I prefer to add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder – more a flavour choice than for raising.
- Almond essence varies in concentration, so you may find you need more or less of it.